Every August, Houston’s Theater District hosts an open house to show off the city’s amazing venues for the performing arts. Last year, Hurricane Harvey derailed the annual event so this Sunday’s open house is even more of a celebration. It’s a great introduction to Houston’s collection of theaters, as well as the performers from the Houston Ballet, Houston Symphony, and the Houston Grand Opera. The Theater District Open House schedule offers classes, tours, and lots of photo ops! Complimentary shuttles will be available to take you from each location and food trucks will also be on site.
Here are some highlights you shouldn’t miss for this year’s event on Sunday, August 26th from noon to 5 pm.
- Broadway Showtunes, Hobby Center’s Sarofim Hall, 1:00; 2:30; 3:30 pm
- Meet characters from the Houston Ballet’s Nutcracker and Houston Grand Opera’s La Boheme, Wortham Center, Brown Theater Alcove, 12-5 pm
- Houston Symphony Concert, Jones Hall, 4-5 pm
- Houston Symphony Instrument Petting Zoo, Jones Hall Lobby, 12-3:30 pm
- HPSVA Jazz Ensemble, Cadence Bank Stage at Jones Plaza, 1-1:45 pm
- Bluesman Mighty Orq, Revention Center, 1:30; 2:30; 3:30 pm
Enjoy the show!